Baum was originally founded as the Liberty folder corporation in Sidney, Ohio in 1917. In 1935 Mr. Russell Ernest Baum, a Philadelphia Businessman, became a dealer and began selling the Liberty Folder. Mr. Baum was considered a marketing genius and was so successful in the marketing of the Liberty Folder that in 1936 he was granted an exclusive dealership for the Eastern United States. With Baum's continued success to market the product the Liberty Folder quickly became known as the Baumfolder. In 1950 Mr. Baum became sole owner of the Liberty Folder Company which he managed until 1961. Today Baum is owned by Heidelberg Druckmachinen and continues to manufacture Baum Floor Model Folders, Table Top Folders, Paper Drills, and Paper Cutters as well as Heidelberg Saddle Stitchers, special OEM products, and Stahl Mid-to-Large size Floor Model folders at the Baum factory in Sidney Ohio.